, , , , , ,

Well, today at about 3:40 p.m. PST, my beloved Pembroke Welsh Corgi, Blue went over the Rainbow Bridge. It was very hard to do and this is painful to write about. I’m sure many of you know exactly how it feels and how terribly heart-rending/wrenching it is to say “goodbye” especially if it’s before a full life could be lived together. Yet I also knew in my heart of hearts it was the right thing to do.

His quality of life had declined so very, very far. The thing I hate with DM is that the dog stays bright and happy. However Blue was no longer happy. Often stuck, unable to move, he’d cry and when he realized he’d pooped or pee’d he’d whimper so sadly.

And he was lonely without his human…almost as lonely as me. He would cry at that too. I didn’t mind since I was silently crying (and sometimes outloud) too. So this morning I sliced up a small steak I’d bought on Saturday for his last dinner. He inhaled it, happily dozing off after washing it down with water. Meanwhile I got ready and prepared a box he’d fit in to avoid any major leaks on the trip to the vet. I lined it with two garbage bags and a potty pad, all taped firmly in place.

At 2 p.m. I led him outside, helped him down the steps and put his collar on with leash attached, saying, “let’s go for a walk”. But he firmly put the brakes on, he wasn’t going anywhere. Don’t know if my body language, demeanor, crying or what clued him in, but he wanted nothing to do with going anywhere. He just went dead-limp in a lump on the ground. A rarity for him. My neighbor in back was home and I called him for help. He kindly lifted Blue into the box on the back seat and we were off.

Here we are at the vet.

Waiting to be carried in.

Waiting to be carried in. What an angel! xox

SAMSUNG CAMERA PICTURESOh look, it’s a new human, “hi”. “Are we going to play?” Look at that smile! What an angel.

We waited in a room for about 20 minutes which was a bit long and he started trying to climb out of the box. I just held him in the box closer to me, petting him and of course, crying.

The techs came in, cleaned up his rear end and prepared his front leg for the drugs. Then the vet came in and very quietly and calmly explained the shots he’d be giving Blue. He asked if I needed more time with him. I told him “yes, about six to eight more years”. Note that I was serious. But then said no and so he administered the drugs while Blue slipped peacefully and quickly away.

I sat with him for about 45 minutes afterwards, crying and thinking about our time together. When I recall all I went through to adopt an older rescue and after almost two months of repeated failures by adoption organizations, to just stumble upon Blue in a high kill LA County “shelter”…I think we were ordained to be together. Personally, he rescued me more than I him.

I had the joy of his company from July 21, 2010 till today. Just three days shy of three years and four months. He was a delightful companion and I hope I did well by him.

Blue  ~ 2009 to 11/18/2013

Blue ~ 2010 to November 18, 2013.

See you on the other side my love! 

Sorry, but can’t get this video to play here so just click on the LINK. It’s worth it. And thank you so much for stopping by. It means so much to me, especially at moments like this.